If you don't have a garden, go to a farmer's market and buy tons of "canning tomatoes" for a very good price. Once you get them, here's what you do:
- Wash tomatoes.
- Cut out the top of the tomatoes.
- Put the tomatoes in a freezer bag.
- Seal the bag, label it, and toss it in your freezer.
Now, the magic is that when you want to make spaghetti sauce, or chili, or anything else that requires canned tomatoes, you simply take however many you need out of the bag, run them under hot water, and the skin simply falls right off! Then you can just dice it up and throw it in.


4 comments:
Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try it. I have way too many tomatoes and don't really want to bottle anymore. I already did 25 jars. Sounds like a quick trick for a mom of 5.
Thanks from a fellow mom of 5.
You forgot to tell them that it is helpful if they have your gift for packing a freezer :)
Thanks, Sarah! I have a brown bag full of tomatoes that I will freeze later. What is your secret to packing a freezer??
Dear Anonymous,
I truly have no secret freezer-packing trick. My mom was just referring to my uncanny ability to always be able to squeeze one more thing into the freezer/fridge/dishwasher/etc. As far as talents go, I'm not sure this one tops the charts, but it does come in handy. :)
Happy freezing,
Sarah
Post a Comment