Everybody knows that kids do better in school when they have a good breakfast, but I really hadn't thought about why this is true. Lately I was reading some nutrition books and they said that the brain uses about 25% of the body's blood sugar! So, if kids that don't eat breakfast (or at least not a good breakfast) try to perform complex learning tasks, the brain runs out of fuel because it depletes the glucose stores, which are already low from the overnight fast.
This means that proteins, complex carbs, fiber and calcium should all be a part of our kid's breakfasts each day.
Proteins perk up the brain, and complex carbs relax the brain, so you need both for optimal performance. Fiber steadies the absorption of the nutrients, so they act like a time-release energy capsule throughout the morning and prevent mid-morning crashes and sugar cravings. High-calcium foods have also been shown to enhance behavior and learning in schoolkids.
Because of this, I have been trying to make sure my kids eat well in the morning. They definitely hadn't been getting protein every morning. I hadn't realized it was so important to the brain.
In one of the books there was a smoothie recipe that I think is pretty good for all the healthy stuff crammed into it. What I LOVE about it is that my kids love it. :)
Here's the recipe:
3 cups lowfat milk or soy beverage
1 1/2 cups yogurt
1 banana
1 tsp. lemon juice (to preserve color)
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup of several of your favorite frozen fruits
4 T. ground flaxseeds (for a grainy texture) or 2 T. flaxseed oil (for a silky texture)
4 oz. tofu (I have never added this, but I would if I ever had it on hand)
2 T. peanut butter
1/4 cup raisins (opt.)
2 T. wheat germ
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
2 servings of a chocolate- or vanilla-flavored multinutrient protein supplement
Combine all ingredients, blend until smooth and serve immediately.
This recipe makes 8 cups.
My tips
-If I don't have enough frozen fruit or just want to use fresh fruit on hand, I just add ice as well.
-I always put everything in my blender except the milk, because it won't fit. I put the milk in a pitcher and mix them back and forth to finish it off.
-A serving size for a child aged six to twelve would be 2 1/2 cups (20 oz.), but no one drinks that much. I usually serve it with whole wheat toast.
-If there is any leftover, just stick it in the fridge and whenever you walk by stir it up and have a little sip. Guaranteed, you won't be hungry for hours!
-The problem is that Jeff always wants me to make it on the weekends instead, so he can have some too. :)
Costa Rica-- Our Last Day in Alajuela
8 years ago


3 comments:
What size serving do your children drink? Have you figured the cost of a serving? "Yeah for good breakfasts for students!!!" says the teacher. Believe me you can tell which child has had a good breakfast and sadly more apparent are the ones who haven't.
Hey, this is right up my alley! As you read, I've been forcing the healthy breakfast on my kids all week! And added bonus is the flax seeds - omega-3's are supposed to help with concentration. (Sadly, we haven't seen this work yet, but we'll keep trying!)
My Katya won't eat peanut butter. I wonder if you can taste 2T in all that or if I could sneak that by her? Can you taste it?
What do you use as the supplement in the recipe? I wasn't sure what was meant by that ingredient.
heatherlbrandt (at) verizon (dot) net
Post a Comment