Thursday, October 30, 2008

Feeding the Family

One thing we learned quickly in the last 3 months is that 2 more mouths in the family consume a great deal of food, even when they are little ones. We go through about 3 gallons of milk, two bunches of bananas, a bag of apples, a bag of grapes, two 8-packs of yogurt, an 18-pack carton of eggs and tons of store-bought and homemade bread every week!

I have had to start actually planning meals and shopping lists each week! :) Before the adoption I would do this occasionally in little bouts of ambition, and the rest of the time, wing it. So, the weekly shopping trip has become quite the outing with my four little helpers all crammed in the cart, arguing over who gets to hold which item. It is actually quite humorous, so the other day I took a photo for the record. As we walk by, everyone turns to look at us, with more than an occasional, "You've got your hands full!" and sometimes even, "Are they quadruplets?"

As an update on Maya and Tristan's eating habits, they are doing great! They eat pretty much everything now, as long as there is a "treat" at the end of the rainbow. This is usually fruit or bread with jam, although lately it has been Halloween candy. :) They both still cram their mouths full like little chipmunks, and they still have to work hard at chewing. Tristan especially is very slow. It took him 30 minutes the other day to eat 3 raw baby carrots. He wasn't playing around either, just methodically trying to chew them. Usually I steam the veggies because of this, and it goes down a ton quicker.

Maya and Alex still love their Super Porridge for breakfast, although they only have it when the rest of us have oatmeal or cold cereal, which is about 2 or 3 times a week. The rest of the time we have waffles (we make a massive batch almost every weekend and freeze them) or scrambled eggs and toast or bagels and yogurt. They love all of this! The hard part is just getting it on the table fast enough. :)

So for all you readers out there who read and never comment, and those that do, what are some of your favorite family dinners? I love to try new things all the time, and I believe it's good for the kids to do so as well.

5 comments:

Steph said...

A favorite family meal that I married into, as a favorite family meal of my husband's family is "Stackem'ups". It is simply a variation of tacos. The funnest part is the bed of crumpled of chips as the first layer on the plate. The kids love doing this. Then a layer of rice, ground beef, lettuce, tomato, avocado, olives, and their other favorite part-cheese sauce. Which I just get the canned campbell's soup kind. I personally would prefer grated cheese, but this is always one of the favorite parts of the meal, so I've stuck to it. It is a super cheap meal that feeds a lot of people and it's a fun meal. I usually bring this one out when we are having company.

Christa said...

I wish I could suggest a meal. I am no cook, though. I am glad you all are well, and the picture of the children in the grocery basket is too cute!

Christa Sumwalt

Cutey said...

We love having Hootananny in the morning. They are simliar to German pancakes. I love it because it mixes up in 10 minutes and bakes in twenty. For my five kids I usually add a couple more eggs and heap the flour and add more milk, That is usually enough for the kids and than hubby and I have something a bit more healthy.

Tamara said...

I'm just catching up after a busy week. Sourdough waffles or pancakes are a fav which we freeze and have on hand for breakfasts during the week. We make all different shapes so Sasha will request a dinasaur or an airplane which is fun. For dinners, we make our own pizza dough (my fav recipe uses the bread maker) and create our own pizzas. We're currently working on finding the best mac and cheese recipe so we've been experimenting. Beef stroganoff is a favorite as well. Planning is a must for us too and you're a braver woman than I am at the grocery store!

scubajoe said...

I don't have something original, just Lasagna, which lately is my sons favorite, we have it every Sunday. When he first came from Russia he disliked anything with tomato sauce, but we love Italian, so now he does too! I think the resaon he loves Lasagna its because he can eat it fast, and be excused from the table to go back to playing.

The other day he insisted on using the big serving spoon to eat it, I was suprised how well he managed it, done in 3 spoolfuls! Proudly anounced done.. play?