Thursday, August 28, 2008

More Glasses!

Last week I took Maya for a 2 hour eye specialist appointment to see what was up 'cause her left eye crosses occasionally. I wasn't sure how they were going to figure it out since she can't read the alphabet and I knew she wouldn't tell them anything if they asked anyway. However, they just put drops in her eyes, waited for them to dilate and then using various lights and lenses they could just look in and see everything they needed to see to know what see needed! I was very impressed! Other than the drops in the eyes, Maya was fairly content through the whole thing--even though it was during nap time. We were very happy in the end too because the doctor said her eyes cross sometimes because she is far-sighted. So, we got a prescription for glasses and in 6 weeks we'll go back to see if she needs a patch or anything further to correct it. The doctor thought the glasses would correct almost all, if not all, of the problem.

Today we picked up the glasses and I thought there would be some serious stress trying to teach her to keep them on, but I think she likes being able to see enough that it really won't be much of a problem. The only real issues are stopping Alex from ripping them off of her and convincing Isabelle that even though her two older sisters have glasses, she doesn't need any. She's already informed me that she wants ones that have butterflies on them! :)

When we got the glasses I told her several times how beautiful she was, and I think I might have overdone it as she went around the house saying, "Ya ochein kraseevaya!" for the rest of the day! (translation: "I am very beautiful!")

The other momentous happening today was at breakfast this morning when Maya was eating her "kasha" and she looked up at me and said, "I want some milk." I couldn't believe it!!!! A four word sentence in English and perfectly articulated as well! I got so excited about it that a couple minutes later she had to remind me again that she still hadn't received her milk! After breakfast she played with a toy phone and kept saying, "Grandma." She is a little English sponge!

Maya's 1st Flip-Flop Experience! Not too sure about this! :)

Just having fun dolling up my newest little daughter!

Isabelle has been taking ballet this summer and does she ever love it! Grandma sent her this cute ballet bag for her birthday. Thanks Grandma!

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Love her new glasses. She looks great and how wonderful that you have such a simple solution for her vision challenges. Love the ballerina photo! I can hardly wait to get Mia into dance. I think she'll love it just as your daughter does. Have a great weekend! Tamara

Amy said...

What a cutie she is! If she doesn't like the flip flops -- I don't blame her! I can't wear them!

Glad to hear it was an easy transition!

Granny D Fifield said...

Glad the glasses were accepted so well. The language development is amazing. How is Tristan doing in that area? Thanks for the pictures. They are both adorable.