Monday, August 25, 2008

More Survival Strategies

First of all, let me say that raising this many little tykes is HARD! I know, all of you probably think this is an obvious point; however, it makes me feel better to say it anyway. :) Last week was our hardest week yet (we have been home 3!), and I think it was because the newness of it all is wearing off, and everyone is getting weary of figuring out how to share, how to wait patiently, how to obey, how to have personal space...all those good things.

By the end of day last Friday I thought I was going to explode if I heard any more whining! Luckily my awesome husband came through once again giving me some personal time, and I am refreshed and renewed from this weekend.

Tonight's family night lesson was on quickly obeying Mom and Dad. :) We did a kind of Simon Says game with them as they all practiced quickly obeying whatever we told them to do. They all did great and had lots of fun, and I was impressed once again how Tristan and Maya understood everything we told them perfectly, and we said it all in English. Maya is speaking more and more in English as well. I am just utterly amazed at what little sponges they are!

Okay, so I thought of 3 more awesome survival strategies that have worked for us to add to my list. If any of you want to add to the list, please leave comments on what's worked for you!

7. Visible Meal Motivators
By this I mean that we figured out that as soon as one child finishes their meal we pull out dessert, whether it is ice cream or chocolate, or more often, fruit. We extravagantly praise the child for finishing all their food and then give them the treat. Then we tell the others that they may have some when they have eaten their food. Or, we just put it on a plate in the middle of the table. The other day we were having chicken salad sandwiches and Maya had hardly taken a bite and Tristan was mostly just playing around. Then I put a plate of apple slices on the table and told them to eat their sandwiches so that they could have some apples. I could not believe how fast their food disappeared!

8. Sunshine and the Trampoline
I feel so blessed to have been able to bring these two home when there was still some gorgeous weather to enjoy. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous since we've been home, and it has saved my sanity to be able to take everyone outside each day where the kids have much more freedom to explore and be kids. We got our trampoline just last year and I am SO glad that we have had it. They LOVE it, and it has not only helped them already with their strength, coordination and balance, but it has also helped with the bonding and attachment of the kids between each other, as it is something that they can all do together and have fun being silly landing all over each other.

9. One-On-One Times
This is not always easy to do, and we are still figuring out how to fit it in, but we believe it is very important to have special one-on-one times with each child, whether we just take one to run a few errands and grab a treat together, or a special date where we do whatever the child wants to do. This was reinforced to me when last weekend we kept Emma up to watch the movie "Nim's Island" and eat Moose Tracks (our hands down favorite ice cream!). She was ecstatic, and the next day as we were driving to church, we were talking about it and she said, "Mom, that was so fun! I'll never forget that night!"

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Oh moose tracks! That was Ice Iowa's favorite ice cream and Sasha still talks about it. We saw Nim's Island last week as well during our family movie night. Your suggestions are awesome. I think you're doing an amazing job and I can only imagine how hard it is. I also noticed that once we hit week 2 or 3 things started getting harder. The good news is that now that we've been home two months, things are starting to get better. Hang in there! Tamara

Granny D Fifield said...

Your blog brought back a lot of happy memories, trampoline type ones!! You all enjoyed that so much. We never regretted the purchase of one.
Have you had a one-on-one date or experience with Maya yet? Just wondering how she is away from Tristan.