Monday, August 11, 2008

The Real Deal

Well to be honest I was pretty worried about what today would bring. This last week that we have been home has been great, but Jeff has been here helping me the whole time. Today he went back to work and I was on my own. :) Not only did I have a 1-year-old, two 2-year-olds, a 3-year-old and a 7-year-old to care for, but two of the toddlers are in most ways behaviorally on par with my 1-year-old. They tear any paper that comes in their hands, they touch what they shouldn't constantly, they have about a 15 second attention span, which basically eliminates all storytimes or teaching times or nursery rhyme times or even tv time! This week Maya has managed to dump an entire bottle of baby oil out onto the carpet in her bedroom, as well as unrolling entire rolls of toilet paper and shoving it all into the toilet!

Somehow when we moved forward with this adoption, despite my research, I was imagining 3 toddlers, not 3 one-year-olds. At any rate I went to bed last night with quite a bit of trepidation. In the morning Alex woke up as usual at 5:45 and Isabelle at 6:45. I decided then and there to cut Alex back to one nap a day to see if we can kick this early morning habit. The good news was that the other 3 slept till 8:45!

Ever since we've been home I have given Maya and Tristan "super" porridge for breakfast like I do for Alex. "Kasha" as Maya calls it. The "super" part of it is that it is made with various grains and bean flour to complete the proteins, and then I throw in pureed kale, vegetables and mashed banana. I wouldn't eat it, but they love it! :) I give them each huge bowls full and they eat it in a matter of 5 minutes or less. Emma and Isabelle usually stick to cheerios or waffles or plain oatmeal with brown sugar. :) I figure till they know the difference and care, I will just keep putting the "health nut" food in front of them.

At any rate, other than 2 more unraveled rolls of toilet paper, our day was happy and smooth-going. When the 4 of them were napping, Emma and I read together and then I even got a one-hour nap! Of course, I didn't even try to do any housework today and my wonderful friend, Crystal, brought us dinner, so I didn't have to do that either. I think as everyone starts to adjust even more, things will get easier and easier. After each of my children have been born I have always wondered how we would get anything done. Thankfully things always get easier and I have been blessed with an awesome husband who always takes up the slack!

Here are some photos from our week.
Tristan with Grandma John
We love Grandma John!
Isabelle and Maya were excited to have matching nightgowns.
Maya still LOVES the piano!
Their first playdough experience was a huge success! -at least once we got it clarified that we don't eat it. :)
Tristan can pedal well on the tricycle! The scooter, however, is still a bit of a mystery.
Maya has no interest in learning to pedal. She likes to just push herself along like she did at the orphanage.
This is my favorite photo of the week. My 3 beautiful daughters playing with their babies under the table. :)

5 comments:

findingourdaughter said...

Thank you for posting all the photos......so wonderful! I can imagine how crazy things must be right now during this transition time.......let things go around the house that you can.......this is a difficult time for sure and the other stuff will all still be there when the calm/normal/routine comes.
I only have 2 kiddos right now, adopting the 3rd........and I'm worried about handling 3.....my hat's off to you for handling 5! Just think of them grown, coming home for Christmas....with their families and all those grandkids...what a wonderful BIG family that will be!!! Better days ahead!
Big Hugs,
Angie

Amy said...

I have to 2nd what Angie says!! I am so impressed that you are handling 5 kidlets! They look like they are doing great - the toliet paper on the other hand, will hopefully live to see another day!

Granny D Fifield said...

You are in my thoughts constantly. The pictures help me a lot but grandma's arms still ache to hold all five of my Michigan grandchildren. Keep up just exactly as you have been doing. What a rich reward is in store for you!!!
Love you to pieces!!!

Tamara said...

Yes, yes, I vote that you're SUPERWOMAN! I can't imagine taking care of three in addition to our two and I thought that two under the age of 4 was challenging. They all look like they're doing great and seem so happy. I totally understand about the getting into everything phase. Pretty soon things will settle out into your new normal. Hang in there, you're doing GREAT! Tamara

Anonymous said...

Sara! Congratulations on your beautiful family! i enjoyed reading about the super porridge and wanted to thank you again for reccomending that book! i had to laugh, i wouldnt eat it either but the girls LOVE it!