Sunday, June 1, 2008

One more sleep deprived post :)

Before we head to bed I wanted to say we accomplished all our goals for the night! We found a Ritz-Carlton while we were exploring, so we walked in like we owned the place and in one fell swoop we exchanged our money, got our copies made and got a map and directions to a grocery store.

They don't have crosswalks across the big roads here, instead you go underground to cross the roads. Little babushkas selling flowers are at all the main stairways down and if you make it through the clouds of cigarette smoke you will see people playing music for money and little stores lining the way through. This is where the grocery store was.

When we came out of the store, we took a different exit that came out right by the Kremlin. Here we found a crowd listening to a military band. Elderly couples and children danced in front of the band. Many of the women danced with other women. Here in Russia 19-year-old boys have mandatory military duty. They looked very young in their bright red uniforms. It was a striking image against the Kremlin wall.

Then we took our groceries back to our apartment and headed out for dinner. We found a T.G.I.F and decided this was a good, easy option for two very tired people. In fact, I believe we looked a bit like zombies by this point. As we were leaving we met 2 other American couples who were each adopting a little boy. They were both on their second trip.

As we walked back to the apartment we heard another live band and stopped to listen. I managed to sound out "Central Moscow Immanuel Center" on their banners, and then we heard what sounded like Christ in the words they were singing. We realized it was some sort of church group, and after a couple of songs the leader spoke very passionate, heartfelt words. We could only pick out words here and there, but it was simply amazing to be in Moscow of all places, hearing this kind of demonstration go on about Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi;
It's your friends from across the mile road. We think of you often and wish you nothing but the best. The kids want to do more "dress ups". You are in our thoughts and prayers. Hope to talk to you when you return.
Linda, Masha & Max :-)
We are home ten months with our two from Russia as well.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Melinda has been at your place since Wednesday. I talked to Eric on Sat. and he didn't know if she had left. I called and left a message for Bill asking when she was leaving and no word. It's so funny that I have to hear from Russia to know my daughter in Utah is in Michigan. We are so grateful things are going better this time. We are excited for you and pray for all to go well. Love, Dad & Mom John

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are there safe. I can't wait to hear about how the meeting goes with the kids.
Good luck with everything!!!
Malinda

Anonymous said...

Hello! I feel terrible I didn't get a chance to call you before you left but we were thinking about you. Ainsley was over your house the other day jumping and then the girls came over here to swing. Isabelle is sure talking up a storm now! Caiden is eager for his little friend to come over and play with him too!

We wish you the best and can't wait to hear more-

jennica