Yeah! We got the call early this afternoon and life has been chaos ever since! :) We go to court for custody of the kids on July 14th. That means we fly out on the 12th. After court, there is a "10 Day Wait" law that means we have to sit around and wait for 10 days to go by before the court edict actually goes into effect and we can pick up Maya and Tristan. Then we have a week of getting their birth certificates, adoption decrees, Russian passports and American visas, as well as their medical appointments and U.S. embassy interviews. If all goes smoothly (a big "if" I hear), we will return on August 1st.
Initially we were going to go home during the 10 days, but we have since decided that these children need us to stick around and visit them a couple times each day so that it won't be so scary leaving the orphanage with us permanently. I'm honestly not sure how I'll survive without seeing Alex, Isabelle and Emma that long. I had a hard enough time with our 1 week stay last time. Luckily, my awesome mother-in-law is coming out to care for them. After raising 6 kids herself, I know they will be in good hands (not to mention the incredible husband she raised for me!).
Today we sent off a package for Maya and Tristan to a couple who is leaving on Sunday on their first adoption trip. They are with our agency and are going to take it with them to deliver on their trip. We really appreciate it! The kids had a lot of fun drawing pictures for them, Emma wrote little notes to them, and I included treats and stickers for them to share with their group, as well as photos from our first trip together. I also made this little circle of pictures of everyone in our family, including them and wrote in the middle "Our Family" "We love you!" all in Russian so the caregivers can read it to them. I cannot describe how fun it was to see all of our children together, if only on paper. I am so excited for them to get this!
Next week we are headed for our annual camping trip with our friends to the Pinery in Canada. I can't wait to go, but that has definitely put the pressure on to get all this done today! Somehow we always seem to have a trip scheduled right before we leave to Russia!
So far today I've got the passports and visa applications mailed off (luckily we don't need passports to get into Canada right now :), and I just purchased the airline tickets--we are flying Delta this time. Now, I just have to figure out where we are going to live for a good portion of July. :)
Sorry this post is not very cohesive! I can't believe this is really happening! I am so excited to bring these little ones home!
Costa Rica-- Our Last Day in Alajuela
8 years ago


8 comments:
Yay! Great news. Won't be long now until you have them in your arms for good.
Oh, Sarah. We are so happy for you. It's really happening!!!
Good luck with everything. Remember that this summer, though busy and intense, will soon be in the past and you'll be happily ever after! :)
Love, Jana
YEA! I am so excited for all of you! I can't wait to see the pictures!
WOW!!! I know that things have probably dragged at a snails pace for you, but it all seems to be happening so fast for me! I'm so glad that things have been coming together so well lately. We have high hopes for a smooth trip and transition for you all. We can't wait to meet the new "Johns!" Good luck and keep us posted!!
Hey! Becky told me all about your blog, she and bethany hadnt read for a while and we're so happy for you! We love you guys you'll be in our prayers! ps. Send some pics please!!
Megan and Becky
CONGRATS!!!!! So happy for you. Have a wonderful trip and new life! Tracie (with Lighthouse too)
Wow! That was amazingly fast!!! In our adoptions the LONG wait was between the first and second visits - 9 months each time!
In our region, we could have our children for the ten days. It was a tremendous honeymoon period. Don't underestimate the opportuniites inherant in these ten days. There is something very, very good about being able to bond with the children when you have none of the other stresses and responsibilities of life distracting you and getting in the way. Even if you can't have them with you - but are just visiting them in their setting, I think it is also an extremely good transition time for the children. Good luck! God bless you!
Yippee Yes!!! I am so very happy for you! As I told you, I saw Tristan at the babyhome and although, I know he misses you both he looks great. God's blessings to you all!
Hugs, Jules
Post a Comment