I love reading folklore from around the world, so while we were in Moscow I picked up a book called Fairy Tales Traditional Russian--not the best translated title. :) I came across it again about a week ago and started reading it. The great part is that the book is illustrated by paintings from Russian lacquer miniatures.
Here is the meme:
The rules:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open to page 56.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 2 to 5 sentences, along with these rules.
5. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual book. Pick the CLOSEST!
6. Tag five (or more) other people to do the same!
My lines:
"'...Here, take this ball of yarn. Follow it boldly wherever it rolls.'
Ivan-Tsarevich thanked the old, old man and set off after the ball of yarn. The ball kept rolling and he followed it.
Once in the open countryside he came across a bear. Ivan-Tsarevich took aim and was about to kill the bear when it spoke to him in a human voice, 'Don't kill me, Ivan-Tsarevich. I shall be of use to you.'"
Mom
Marianne
B&U&I
Kristi
Corin
Amy


1 comment:
Well, even though I'd love to read it: it doesn't look like I can add that one to my next one to check out list! I don't suppose they have it at the library! :)
We bought some CDs of traditional Russian fairy tales (in Russian) that Katya still listens to at night. One is about a bear. I wonder if it's the same story?
Thanks for doing the meme!
Post a Comment