Anyway, the doctor said that he looked really great and is not contagious anymore. She seemed to have more information about mono in children this young than she did last time we talked. She said mono is being seen in younger children more frequently now and that it manifests itself slightly differently than in older kids or adults. It is a viral disease that is spread through the air (not kissing!--although Alex definitely receives and gives plenty of kisses). Apparently young children don't usually get the fatigue that lasts for months, or the inflamed spleen that may rupture if they exercise or jump around. They do get very swollen lymph nodes like Alex. She showed me the lab reports and how they indicate he has mono. His white blood cell count had been 9,500 when he had a blood test back in September, and the report from last Thursday's test showed a white blood cell count of 38,500! She gave me a script to take him back in on Monday for another lab test. She expects this one to show the white blood cell count way down, if not back to normal. I was so relieved as I was trying to prepare myself for a very long illness.
Alex was very well behaved (nervous and cuddly, rather than screaming) through the whole examination. The doctor and I were both impressed after all the tests he went through last time he was there. I think he was just glad they didn't poke him this time. :)
Alex and Tristan love these toy glasses! Everyone wishes they had glasses like Emma and Maya!



1 comment:
Did the doctor tell you how he likely got mono? If not kissing what? :) I've been told with adults that over work and stress are factors. Is there a virus or bacteria involved? What about allergy to tomato products?
Post a Comment