Yesterday we made it to the State Tretakovsky Gallery. We really enjoyed it! There was one painter that I liked, I think his name was Levinsky. He painted portraits so real that they looked like photographs--especially the gorgeous fabrics in the clothing. There were a few really beautiful sculptures there too. I found that I am particularly drawn to the works of art that feature children, whether peasants or royal. Am I a mom, or what?! I guess I just can't get enough of the cute little munchkins.
Anyways, we grabbed lunch at a Krosha Kartosha (a baked potato with lots of choices for toppings) and headed to the orphanage for the afternoon. We had arranged ahead to take the kids outside the gates in strollers for a little walk, so they could get used to that, but then they called back later and said we couldn't because some supervisor had showed up and everything had to be in order. We were very disappointed, but decided to drag the strollers along today in the hopes that we could leave them there and do it tomorrow.
Today we headed to the orphanage in the morning and we got there the same time as the Director, Yelenora. She is very friendly, but said that we still could not take them out to the park today. I really feel like a caged animal when I am there. I can't wait to take them out of there tomorrow! We decided to get the strollers out and walk around the orphanage over and over again. :) Tristan hopped right in. Maya said she didn't want to, but when we persisted, she climbed aboard as well. She leaned forward and gripped the seat pretty hard, but ended up liking it so much she didn't want to stop. After we did stop and had a little snack, she decided to give Tristan a ride.Maya wore the same dress today as yesterday. It is stained and has only one of the 4 buttons that close it. I can't wait to dress her up in beautiful clothes! One thing that is wonderful is that the kids are both answering to their new names now and Maya even calls Tristan by name.
Another great thing was today I decided to see if we could go in Maya's room and watch her eat and go down for her nap, like we did with Tristan the other day. Natasha, a very kind caregiver, let us.
Maya was very excited for us to be there. We were amazed at the huge amounts of food she could down with every bite, and she could drink her teacup of compote with one breath! It was very tender when we got to tuck her in. She was all happy and sweet until we told her "bye-bye" and the smile disappeared. It will be so nice tomorrow when we don't have to leave her anymore!!!
This afternoon, we met up with our new friend Sean and went to Izmaylovo Park where there is a souvenir market and a shashlik place for dinner. Then we headed to another ballet. This time it was Romeo & Juliet. We really enjoyed it, although not as much as Swan Lake. It was more t
heatrical, and I guess I just love Shakespeare too much to separate his words from the work. The emotions were definitely still there and the costumes were beautifully ornate.


1 comment:
What a blessing to see a bit of their routine for eating and naps. We so wish we would've asked to do that. Oh and the photos of their beds and eating areas are priceless. Keep snapping as many pictures as you can. I wish I had more pictures of the orphanage. Good luck with the children 24/7. It's going to be a great ride.
Post a Comment