Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Alex's 3rd Birthday

It has been 2 weeks now, and Alex is still relishing the fact that he is a big 3-year-old boy! I still can't believe it. In some ways he is still a baby to me, and in others it seems like he has been 7 for a while now. :) He reminds me often of his current age and tries to claim all the privileges he can with his new status.

For his birthday, I let Alex choose the menu for the day. It was very simple: our traditional birthday breakfast of French toast with strawberries (the last of our own, saved for this day) and whipping cream, hot dogs for lunch and pizza for dinner.

After breakfast we had Alex open a couple presents to play with throughout the day. He attacked them with vigor!

His main gift was one of those car organizer cases stuffed full of toy cars. And as much as he has thoroughly enjoyed playing with them, organizing them, lining them up, crashing them onto the couch, etc., his next present was even more exciting...

...Star Wars toys! He has never even seen the movies (we try to avoid PG movies till around age 7), so I don't know how he became obsessed--probably his Daddy teaching him about it on the sly. :) It doesn't take much when they have those cool light sabers!


I love this picture because it is so funny to see Tristan--grown weary from watching Alex having all the fun opening all these cool new toys! Don't worry, he played with them plenty all day after Alex was done opening presents. Alex was very good about sharing. I think he was on such a high from it all, nothing could phase him. :)


The Birthday Dinner

I made these Peanut Butter Surprise Cupcakes. The kids loved them, and Alex, of course, loved having Lightening McQueen on his.


After cupcakes and ice cream there were a few more presents for Alex to open. It was fun to watch Emma's excitement as Alex opened a new toy car she had bought for him.


After cupcakes and presents we played some party games, Alex won 2 out of 4 Bingo rounds, and Emma won Pin-the-Nose-on-the-Clown.




About 6 months ago, Alex came up with his very own Mommy/Alex bedtime routine (i.e. delay tactic #489). He insisted on kissing me on my lips, then my nose, then my forehead, then one cheek, then the other cheek, then my chin and finally my neck. Sometimes even my eyes get kisses. Then I do the same to him, and then he gives me a big hug. He has insisted on this routine faithfully every night for the last 6 months or so. I'll tell you what, this is one delay tactic that I have complete patience with! :)

The amount of love you can feel in your heart for a child is truly overwhelming sometimes.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a great day! You guys always seem to do such a fantastic job of truly celebrating birthdays. Thanks for sharing all of your great traditions and ideas! BTW, I just made (and devoured) your fruit pizza recipe. Thank. you.

Carina said...

You are amazing! I can't believe all the fun things you do for birthdays! I'll bet the kids look forward to their birthdays all year long just to be able to celebrate them.

Alex seems like such a stud muffin. I love to see all your kids! They seem to truly love each other.

Oh, and what a WONDERFUL bedtime routine! Those are the moments you have to savor!

ckm said...

Super fun! Happy Bday Alex! I love your traditions!

My 3 year-old tells me each day that he will be 4 on June 19. He isn't aware that it is coming up soon! He also tells me that when he is 12 he can go inside the temple and when he is 19 he is going on a mission. I don't want him to grow up!!!

Granny D Fifield said...

An especially big thank you for this blog. How I love that kid. Carina's stud muffin really fits doesn't it? He is so very handsome