Thursday, December 17, 2009

Alex is potty-trained!

The Saturday after Thanksgiving, Jeff took the other kids off to help clean the church, and I buckled down and did potty training with Alex. I use a method from a book called "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" by Azrin and Foxx. I learned about it from some of the girls at church right before I trained Isabelle, and picked it up at the library. It has seriously made my life a whole lot easier.

It's basically intensive potty training for a 4 hour period where you talk about it and review it constantly with the child. You train a doll, you do treats for dry pants, rather than for going potty, and you do practice trials when the accidents occur. After the 4 hours they don't need treats anymore, and they do everything without your help. It is amazing! It worked like a charm for Isabelle when she was 2yrs 1mo, and it worked great for Tristan after we brought him home.

I wasn't so sure how it would go for Alex, but he took right to it, and has done really well. The first week after he had about one accident a day, but there has only been 3 in the last 11 days (he couldn't get his Superman costume off one of those times), so I would say he's doing really well. He loves wearing his "big boy pants" and I am so proud of him!

**********************************
Unrelated Side Note:
The other day Jeff brought home one of those little laser light pens and it was hilarious watching the mystification of all the little ones. They couldn't figure out where it was coming from. They started out being scared if it went on them, but soon were chasing it around, laughing and trying to pick it up.

2 comments:

Granny D Fifield said...

Good for you Alex! Way to go Sarah!

David and Jana said...

congratulations!! That has to be the best! no babies in diapers! And so young! great job.