Yesterday I found myself once again dragging myself out of bed on a Saturday morning in order to propel myself as quickly as possible over what turned out to be 6.2 miles of a hilly, muddy trail. Sound like fun?
Of course, I could claim that my friends Dawn and Meggan are to blame as they were the ones who got me to sign up with them. But seriously I thought...no bike, no swim, just a little flat, fast run. Everything is flat around here, so the steep hills on the trail were a complete surprise, and the rain just made it so you could almost ice skate while you slipped and slid along.
Needless to say it wasn't a PR for me, but I can tell I got a good workout because I can barely walk today. :) We placed 8th, 9th and 10th out of the 22 women in our age group (30-39). The strange thing was that if we had been in the 20-29 age group, we would have placed 4th, 5th and 6th. Usually the younger chicks are faster than us more, ...ahem, mature women.
Emma was going to do a 1 mile kid run that they were doing right after my race, but the rain and the hordes of mosquitoes that descended on my poor family while they were cheering me on chased that plan away. In fact, my kids truly look like they have chicken pox now. Poor Isabelle got it the worst. Those bugs love her sweet little person!
Later, at home, the sun came out and dried everything out and Emma and Jeff went for their own little 1 mile timed run. She has NEVER run that far, so I wasn't sure how it would go, but she did it, running the whole way in 11 minutes and 8 seconds! Jeff awarded her one of my old medals and she was happy as could be.
Costa Rica-- Our Last Day in Alajuela
8 years ago


2 comments:
Yeah for my two girls and an understanding father! I'm going to time how fast I can walk a mile. I'll let you know. I do know for sure that it will not be any thing close to Emma's time. What was Mom's time?
I did it in 57:07. That's a 9:13 mile pace.
Post a Comment