Monday, July 6, 2009

June Strawberries

We have two little strawberry patches, and wow, did they ever take off this year! Two big bowls of delicious strawberries every 2 to 3 days.
I made about 4 batches of jam and froze a ton more for on top of french toast, waffles or ice cream. I never did find the bottom of the kids appetite for these sweet little fruits. They could devour a massive bowl full in one sitting and still want more!The kids love to help put the new jam on their peanut butter sandwiches! We also make our own peanut butter. My father taught us this trick. We get the big canisters of nuts from Sam's and puree them in a small food processor with a little peanut oil. That way you don't have all the sugar and hydrogenated fats. It tastes better too, more rich in flavor. I like to make it from the honey roasted peanuts, mixed nuts, or even cashews for cashew butter. When I have homemade bread on hand too, even I can't resist a little PB&J!My breakfast this morning: whole grain bagel, neufchatel cheese and berries. Yum! I love summer!

6 comments:

photomom said...

Looks so delicious! You're pictures make me hungry. I had to trade cherries this year to get strawberries.

Jeanette said...

You're making me hungry and wishing I had a strawberry bush!

David and Jana said...

AWESOME!! What a great experience for your kids and Yummy, too!

Kristi said...

Oh my goodness! I am drooling! I am so missing homemade strawberry jam. We definitely need to put in some strawberries somewhere. I think I might give that homemade peanut butter a try, too. Now, I'm naive - do you get peanut oil just by the other oils in the store? How much do you put in?

Sarah said...

Kristi-
Peanut oil is by the other oils... olive oil, canola oil, safflower oil, and the like. The best part of making your own is that you can make it chunky or extra smooth, however you like it. For about 6oz of nuts, add about 3T of oil. Cashews take a couple extra tablespoons of oil. I just eye it and it comes out great every time! :)

Granny D Fifield said...

I hope you can feel how much I appreciate getting your blogs. I read them over and over they never get old. It brings you so much closer. I loved to see Alex spreading the jam. Could he even see the bread?

I started by strawberry patch this year and the robins have been thanking me. :) We are working on sharing.