Saturday, February 21, 2009

Whirlwind week! part 1

In a matter of 5 days we had my birthday, 3 grandparents in town, Emma's school choir concert, a temple sealing, Valentine's and a baptism! It was very busy, but wonderful around here!!! Then all the kids and I got to work out our post-visitor, post-vacation blues over an entire week of school being out for winter break. I was one tired mommy, so I suppose it should not come as a surprise that this morning I woke up with a terrible sore throat/sinus infection. Nature's way of slowing you down I guess. At least I can catch up on this blog.

First, I have to say that I need to have my mother-in-law come out for all my birthdays! She made dinner for me and baked me my traditional birthday cake: layered chocolate cake with cherries and whipping cream. Yum! In the afternoon at naptime she and my father-in-law also watched the kids so Jeff and I could go out on a date. It was great!

The next night was Emma's 2nd grade school concert. She sang beautifully, and it was so neat for her to have 3 of her grandparents there!

Thursday was a very special day. Our family belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and we believe that marriage and the family unit can be sealed together forever, rather than just for "time" or "till death do us part." When Jeff and I were married in the Bountiful, Utah temple, we were married, or "sealed," for eternity, and any children we would have would be "born in the covenant," or automatically sealed to us. Since we adopted Maya and Tristan, we were able to take them to the Detroit temple on this very special night and seal them to our family for all eternity!
In the temple we dress all in white as a symbol of purity, so I hauled the whole family off to get portraits taken before we went. They looked just like little angels!The next day we celebrated Valentine's. We did it a day early so as to not interfere with the baptism. This worked perfectly since it was the day they had all their parties at school. The kids were in heaven with all their fun new treats and gifts. They especially loved their new placemats, and the new GeoTrax set Grandma gave them.Emma loved playing games with her grandparents! (and eating Valentine cupcakes)
Jeff and I got a babysitter and took our parents out to our favorite Thai place. Jeff's parents had never eaten Thai food, so it was a cultural experience for them. :) Hard to believe that 11 months ago we were on the same side of the world as Thailand, in Siberia...should have taken a quick jaunt south through Kazakhstan and China. :)
to be continued...

5 comments:

Kristi said...

What a wonderful week! I know the feeling your are describing with baptising your first child. Chills and excitement - you would have thought it was my baptism day. It is so wonderful to see our kids making right decisions and so excited to do it. Congratulations to all of you on your sealing, too. Wish we could have been there, but I'm sure it was a special time to just be with your families. Love you guys!

Mo said...

I amsoglad that you guys were sealed, congrats ten times over!!!!!!!!!

(you probably don't remember me,I amdMorgan from FL)

julie Tandberg said...

This is such a wonderful week, Sarah. You have a beautiful family and you and Jeff do such a great job with them. Aren't we blessed to have the gospel in our lives. Your sealing day family picture is beautiful!!! Love, Aunt Julie

Ron and Dinia said...

What a beautiful family you have! Love the family photo in all white.

Yayi said...

Sarah,
You guys are definitely amazing!! When I met you I knew you were special. However, what I've seen you guys accomplish with your new family is simply a miracle.
I know we are not so close, but I really admire you and think you are one of a kind!!!
Keep up the good work!