Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It's official: I am now the mother of an 8 year old!

Emma turned 8 today and she was in absolute heaven for every minute of it! She woke up with a huge smile while we sang to her, and then I gave her one of her presents, which was a new outfit sporting Hannah Montana graphics. She was thrilled! Here she is striking one of the "Hannah" poses:Still no front teeth as you can see! What a beautiful girl I have! Emma said that she now knows that wishes do come true because she had secretly wished for boots just like these, and now she has them!

She wanted eggs and bacon and hot chocolate for breakfast and rice crispy treats with M&Ms to take to school to share. There is nothing this girl loves better than to have something she can share with others. She seriously shares every single little thing she gets with all her siblings--even if it ends up to be fairly microscopic portions. I love her generous, selfless spirit!

She came home from school walking on air from all the special attention, and she was obviously making a huge effort to be extra kind and loving to everyone. She told me she was doing this because it was her birthday and she wanted to have a great day. I told her, "You know, you could do this everyday, and then you would always be this happy." She thought that was a good idea. :)

For dinner she wanted our traditional birthday meal of french toast with strawberries and whipping cream. And for dessert her traditional brownie cake, but with strawberries this time. About 6 months ago she told me she wanted a "tropical cake," so I had started planning an elaborate cake featuring a swimming pool, or Hawaiian flowers. When I got down to questioning her in more detail, it turns out that "tropical cake" actually means a brownie cake with fruit on it. So here's how it turned out:
Here she is striking a "Gabriella" pose, her other favorite.
This weekend her grandparents are flying in and we are all headed to Pump It Up--a place that has a ton of inflatable slides, bounce houses and obstacle courses--to celebrate some more.

What a lucky mom I am!

7 comments:

Granny D Fifield said...

Dear Emma you make the world so happy with that beautiful smile. It made my day today thinking about the great day you were having. I love you lots and lots.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Big Sister Emma. I am sure you had an extra special eigth birthday. You are beautiful!

Bess Trevino

Kristi said...

Happy birthday to Emma! Wish we could be there next weekend for the baptism. Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

that cake looks sooooo yummy!!! :P

happy birthday to the 8yr. old!!! :) my son will turn 8 in august, sniff sniff!!! :(

alice

David and Jana said...

Mama of an 8 year old! Yay!! Happy birthday to Emma! It's sweet to see her do the poses and look so happy in front of that cake! It does look so good!

Johnson's House of Chaos said...

What a sweet Emma you have!! I've loved following you blog for the last while. I've been watching it from the start of the adoption process. I've always been a good observer and not the best participant. Just know I'm love keeping up on your family!! Love you!

Christina said...

Sara the cake looks so pretty!

Emma, happy birthday. I look forward to seeing pictures of you from you baptism. 8 is such a special age!