Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Summer Fun

Once we were home from our trip we still had just over 7 weeks left of summer vacation, but we all agreed that that didn't seem like enough! I love having the kids home with me. They have so much fun together and are a big help to me. Sebastian adores having them all around and misses them sorely now that they are in school all day. Here are a few glimpses of our time together.

One day Emma and Isabelle were enjoying a couple of huge lollipops after a Sunday walk. Sebastian watched this exchange of flavors intently, as you can see.

"Hmmmm, how can I get in on this?"

I guess looking cute really can get you far!
We slowly got back into the routine with the John Family Running Club. It's amazing the fitness we lose when we stop for a month. Sandy and Robert reward the kids periodically for their hard work with frozen custard. Last time we went, Sebastian got his own ice cream cone and ate every bite!
One lazy summer afternoon, after watching Peter Pan, Emma helped the other children all come up with their own "Indian" names and made headbands for them. She is such a fabulous big sister!

I love capturing tender moments like these. Sebastian LOVES this book of vocabulary! Sometimes I have to hide it because I simply canNOT go through it again. :)  It is great when his siblings will take a turn instead.
I love making yogurt parfaits occasionally. It is a fun summer breakfast, and the children always act like I am giving them something extra-special and exotic.
Sebastian continues to LIVE for the outdoors, so this cute little park ranger outfit is truly perfect for him.
He is still fascinated with the lawn mower!
 



Emma loves to help out with mowing the lawn now!

We have tried to fit as much swimming into our summer days as possible, and it has paid off. All the kids (except Sebastian, of course) can swim all the way across the pool and back, as well as down to the bottom to retrieve diving rings. I love watching them learn and grow in confidence in this area. Sandy is so wonderful to come with us and help the kids learn. She and Robert have often invited us for a BBQ after swimming, followed by s'mores, which is always a big hit!
The weather has been so beautiful this summer and we have tried to savor it going to parks for a picnic at least once or twice a week.



Our good friends Jen and Jesse came over to celebrate Jesse's birthday with us and share this fun oreo birthday cake. We love this awesome couple!

JCPenny had free haircuts for elementary kids, so all 5 of ours took advantage of this offer. Jeff usually cuts the boys hair, so it had been several years since they had been to a salon.
  
It was so wonderful of them to do this! Now the kids are all slicked up and ready for school.

No comments: