It's been 19 months since we brought Maya and Tristan home from Moscow and I have just realized over the past couple weeks that I finally feel like we have all adjusted enough, and I have grown as a mother enough to handle things well around here. Daily life is no longer overwhelming, whether that means loading them all in the car to run errands, or spending the days cloistered in our home.
It helps that most of them can wipe their own little bums now, wash their own faces and hands, put on their shoes and coats, get their own drinks of water and buckle their own seatbelts in the car. All independence is most welcome around here! They are also all very good helpers and are able to help out more and more. Whether it is taking the clothes out of the dryer, folding washcloths, cleaning up toys or emptying half of the dishwasher, every little bit helps.
Yesterday for one of Isabelle's preschool assignments I had the four little ones wad up a ton of scrap paper into balls, and then we had a massive "snowball" fight in our living room. We seriously had so much fun!
Lately the four of them are totally into puzzles. Alex has blown us all away with his abilities in this area. He is still only 2, and he can put 12-25 piece puzzles together like nobody's business. It is so fun to see how proud he is each and every time he finishes one. He loves to have me come sit by him and watch the whole process.
Tristan is finally staying dry at night most of the time, and we just took the side off of Alex's crib, so he is loving his new freedom. I was really worried that it would be hard for him to stay in bed and go to sleep, but so far he has taken it all in stride.
I'm not sure why, but our local theater is doing free weekend matinees this month for various kid films. This morning we took them all to see Astro Boy. They loved it, and the best part was that nobody had to go out for a potty break during the flic!
Although it's 45 degrees here in Michigan today, this last week we have had a taste of Spring, and we are definitely ready for it. My tulips are starting to come up and the kids can't wait to start going to all the playgrounds around here and get our trampoline back up.
Life is good!
Costa Rica-- Our Last Day in Alajuela
8 years ago


4 comments:
I hear ya. It takes a lot to add 2 additional toddlers to the kids you have at home. I still get overwhelmed some days, but overall it is much better then those early days.
How cool is that? We have always thought about adopting, and still might consider it in the future. I love that you feel like you have adjusted to the family!
I have felt the same way about my kids. Having them potty trained, buckling up in the car, brushing their own teeth...aahhh! It is bliss! I guess we figured we were getting way to comfortable with life and had to switch things up by trying to have another.
What a lot of work for you though to have 2 more children all at once. I am very impressed!
Sounds like all is well! Enjoy life with your kiddos!
Life is good indeed!
Post a Comment