Saturday, May 30, 2009

Our trip across the nation, part 1

Traveling with young ones isn't always easy, especially when you have 2 days to get everything ready and take off! The kids did great though--on the planes, and throughout the trip!

I was especially worried about how Maya and Tristan would handle it as they have only been home 9 months and haven't ever slept anywhere but home since then. While we were out West we slept at 3 different homes, and they had absolutely no problems going to bed and sleeping through the night! It did help that we really wore them out each and every day. :)

Here's our mountain of luggage and car seats, along with all our little orangutans. Everybody we passed took a very long look as we went by. :) Most people were kind and understanding as we herded our little group along and tried to keep them all happy on the plane. Two people were incredibly rude as well. I was a bit surprised by these people, but then I just felt very sorry for them. How empty their lives must be!

I packed a backpack full of books, activities and little toys, a stuffed animal and tons of snacks for each of the kids, and this worked beautifully. They liked being in charge of their own stuff. On the way out, our connecting flight in Denver was canceled and we had to wait around 4 hours to take the next one out. We found a place for the kids to run around and burn some energy, which was good, but it made for an extremely long day for all of us.

I love Alex's scowl here! :)

It was a huge relief to make it to my mom's place! The funeral for my grandmother was beautiful, and it was amazing to see so many of my extended family who are spread out across the nation. The weather was gorgeous too, so we spent a lot of time outdoors.

My sister and sister-in-law and me!

It was so nice to just relax, take in the sunshine, play a few games, mess around with the kids and simply have a chance to visit with these people we love.

Baking cookies with Grandma, and Emma's favorite cousin, Gracie.

Playing with cousin Kyler on his playset.
Alex's cousin Riot is only 6 months younger than him. These two were so funny together! They both have plenty of personality! We so wish we could live closer so all these cute little cousins could grow up together.
We all loved meeting our newest little niece, Tavia. These two were particularly enamored of her.
Storytime with Grandma.

Emma and Gracie in the orchard.

Uncle Steven gave the kids rides on his riding lawn mower. Seriously the kids were totally thrilled with this and would have done it all day if possible. Who needs amusement parks anyway? :)

At Steven and Marianne's we had a bonfire, complete with pizza and roasting marshmellows for smores!
to be continued...

4 comments:

Joseph and Kamber said...

I love the photo of all the luggage. I wish you had snapped photos of people's faces as they saw your family coming. It's always funny (and annoying) to see reactions to big families. Especially so close in age.

Amy said...

Great pictures - and I'll second the funny shot of all the car seats and luggage!!

Granny D Fifield said...

Thank you, thank you! I'd almost given up but you came through in flying colors. It was so very great to have you here. So much fun and love make many wonderful memories on both ends!!!

Dawn Eveland said...

I am very impressed with your packing, Sarah!! Really not a lot of luggage for a family of 7, and a great idea each having their own backpacks!
How beautiful the mountains looked in the background of one of the pictures!