Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ham & Basil Quiche

I had to share one of my favorite recipes, in case any of you have fresh tomatoes and basil. This quiche is SO good. I made it last Friday with the last of our red tomatoes from the garden.

1 pie crust (9 inch), uncooked
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
3/4 cup lean ham, diced
3/4 cup monterey jack cheese or swiss cheese
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 teaspoon basil
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. If using a frozen piecrust, thaw according to package directions.
  2. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch quiche dish or pie plate. Line piecrust with foil. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove the foil; bake until lightly golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
  3. While piecrust is baking, in a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg, egg white, mustard, and pepper until well blended.
  4. In another medium bowl, combine the ham, cheese, tomatoes, green onion and basil. Mix well. Sprinkle mixture evenly over piecrust. Pour the milk mixture over ham mixture.
  5. Bake until quiche is golden and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
I didn't have a frozen piecrust, so I just made my own. If you've never done it before, it's surprisingly easy. Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Crisco
4-5 Tbsp ice cold water
  1. Mix in the Crisco and water with a pastry blender (or just two knives).
  2. Roll the dough out super thin (it will tear here and there, but just patch it up as you go).
  3. Use a pastry knife or spatula and detach the dough from the counter.
  4. Fold the dough in half carefully, lay it on the pie pan, unfold it and then shape the edge how you want it.

1 comment:

Granny D Fifield said...

Dear daughter I can't believe you can find time to make anything from scratch, but you've sold me. How about having this Friday when I can help make it. :)