Actually as I reviewed our photos from the last 6 weeks, I was surprised to see how many featured cakes and other sweets. But we've had lots to celebrate! I guess it's about time we start being more responsible eaters around here. It sure has been fun though! :)
It all started when we had some friends over, and it happened to be one of their 31st birthdays. So, I made this Italian Cream Cake that I've been wanting an excuse to try for months. The weird sticks on top are actually sparkler candles.
The cake was really good, but the leftovers were even better. Sitting in the fridge overnight does beautiful things for this cake. PW posted this recipe awhile ago here if you want to give it a try.Next up was Emma's 9th birthday cake. I did a cookie cake for her this year. I had never made one before, but I was making cookies for her to take to school, so I just plopped a ton of the cookie dough onto a baking stone, and presto, this is what I got:
Then I made some frosting, decorated it a bit, and came up with this:
It was a chocolate chip cookie with chopped-up Andes mints in it, we served it with Mint Moose Tracks ice cream, and it received rave reviews from the birthday girl. My sister-in-law, Marianne, gave me this cookie recipe, and it works beautifully! Here it is:*************************************************************
Marianne's Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. brown sugar
2 c. white sugar
1 1/2 c. shortening
5 eggs
2 t. salt
2 t. soda
2 t. vanilla
5 c. flour
1 1/2 bag chocolate chips
Andes mints (optional)
Combine sugar and shortening. Add eggs and blend well. Add dry ingredients and blend. Stir in chocolate chips (and mints). Dough will be stiff. Drop by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet.
375 degrees for 8-10 minutes
(For the cookie cake, I think I baked it at 325 for about 25 minutes.)
Store in airtight container for soft, chewy cookies.
*************************************************************
One week later I made this layered chocolate cherry heart cake for my birthday. My Mom always made this for me growing up since my birthday is right before Valentines. All you do is make two chocolate heart cakes, put cherry pie filling in between the layers, and cover it all with real whipping cream. Decorate with cherries and chocolate shavings. So good!

For Valentines breakfast I made these heart pancakes and served them with hot chocolate and strawberries and orange slices dipped in chocolate.

They were thoroughly enjoyed!
For dinner I made Grilled Ribeye Steak with Onion-Blue Cheese Sauce, Crash Hot Potatoes and a green salad, followed by..., you guessed it, another cake. Yum!Finally, for my absolute favorite. I made my first real cheesecake the other night for one of our ward's missionaries 21st birthday. It was a white chocolate, raspberry cheesecake, and it turned out fabulous! Seriously, I don't think it was a good idea for me to learn how to make this amazing dessert!

Here's the recipe:********************************************************
White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Ready In: 10 Hours
Servings: 16
Ingredients:
1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 cups white chocolate chips
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
fresh raspberries to garnish
Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, mix together cookie crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar, and melted butter. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
2. In a saucepan, combine raspberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to boil, and continue boiling 5 minutes, or until sauce is thick. Strain sauce through a mesh strainer to remove seeds.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). In a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt white chocolate chips with half-and-half, stirring occasionally until smooth.
4. In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in vanilla and melted white chocolate. Pour half of batter over crust. Spoon 3 tablespoons raspberry sauce over batter. Pour remaining cheesecake batter into pan, and again spoon 3 tablespoons raspberry sauce over the top. Swirl batter with the tip of a knife to create a marbled effect.
5. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until filling is set. Cool, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 8 hours before removing from pan. Serve with remaining raspberry sauce.
********************************************************
Last night, I saw the leftover raspberries in my fridge, and whipped up PW's Individual Raspberry Cobblers. I made these with blueberries last summer. They are super easy to throw together, and they are truly an amazing treat. In fact, I think I will go eat another one right now! :)


4 comments:
Oh, wow, yum! I have mixed emotions about having been there for all the wonderful treats... on one hand I'd love to have been and on the other, I don't need any more help gaining my allotted baby weight! :) Which ever.. they all sound incredible! You're invited to my birthday party... I'm ordering one giant mint cookie! :)
Sucks to be on a diet right now!
I've been wanting to make an Italian Creme Cake for a long time! I just book-marked the recipe. Thanks!
I, on the other hand, will never forgive you! :)
However, after reading through it three times, I have had ten or twelve minutes of delicious no calorie drool. Heaven has got to include desserts such as these.
Mmmmm. My mouth won't stop watering! How delicious! Thanks so much for posting the recipes. I will definitely have to start trying some of those out. If they taste half as good as they look, I will be in heaven.
Post a Comment