While you wait for me to write about all that, I thought I would post those recipes I promised from our 1-year Family Day celebrations.
The party started off with pink lemonade for the kids and Italian Creme Sodas for the rest of us. If you've never had one of these babies, you've got to try it! They are super easy and fun to have at social gatherings.
Italian Creme Sodas- Pour in about half an inch of Da Vinci Flavored Syrup (we get these at Sam's Club in the coffee aisle--our favorites are raspberry and hazelnut)
- Pour in about an inch of Cream or Half and Half
- Add some Crushed Ice
- Fill the rest of the way with Creme Soda
When everyone was here I cooked the meat on the grill. For the chicken I simply marinated it overnight in a 50/50 mix of soy sauce and Sprite. Then while I grilled it, I basted it with a mixture of peanut oil, ginger and garlic. The key is to take it off the grill the moment it is cooked through.

As awesome as that grilled chicken was, I have to say that the steak was even better! The best part was that I was able to have our guests rave over very affordable steak. It was Beef Loin Top Sirloin and I found it at Sam's for only $2.99/lb!
First I marinated it overnight in one of my Dad's marinades. Here's the recipe:
Southwestern Marinade
2 lbs steak
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 medium garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
-serve with lime wedges
About half an hour before I was ready to cook them, I put some chips of mesquite wood in water to soak, then pulled the steak out of the marinade, wiped them down (to prevent flare-ups on the grill), and sprinkled salt and pepper on them. Then I took the wood chips and put them in my little smokebox, put it inside the grill right by one of the flames (you can get a smokebox and the wood at Home Depot or Lowes), turned the burners on and closed the top for about 10 minutes to get the smoke going and the grill warmed up.
Then all I had to do was throw the meat on to cook. After 2 minutes, rotate the meat 90 degrees to get the awesome criss-cross pattern and to cook the meat more evenly. Wait 2 minutes, flip the steak over, wait two minutes, rotate 90 degrees, and after 2 more minutes you're done! I close the top of the grill during the 2 minute intervals to let it get a hint of the smoky mesquite flavor.
Seriously, you need to give this steak a try!
I also made Roasted Ricotta Roma Tomatoes and the kids helped me assemble a ton of yummy Potato Bundles.Potato Bundles
Russet potatoes, cut into chunks
Yellow or white onion, cut into chunks
Butter (regular, salted)
Heavy cream
Kosher salt
Paprika
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced parsley
Pile potatoes and onions on a square of foil. Add 2 tablespoons butter, splash on some cream, then sprinkle on salt, paprika, and black pepper. Wrap bundles tightly and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, or until extremely tender. Serve foil bundles right on the plate!
Here's a pic of the whole spread:
And here's a pic of the awesome cupcakes my neighbor Jennica brought:
P.S. Tonight I made these Stuffed Mushrooms, and when I bit into one of them I think I actually closed my eyes and let out an involuntary moan. Yes, seriously, it was that good. And then I ate another one. and another. and another. :)
P.P.S. For the mushrooms I substituted white grape juice for the dry white wine.


3 comments:
You've got me drooling. Thanks! Could we have the recipes for the roasted ricotta tomatoes and the stuffed mushrooms?
Just click on the name of them and it links to the recipes. Enjoy!
Yum, sounds like a fun night.
Post a Comment