Friday, March 28, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Yeah! We are home! 28 hours of travel! Back to the land of clean air and clean streets and clean buildings. Back to the land of public garbage cans and public restrooms--with toilet seats! :) Back to the land where we have 3 very precious blessings to love and kiss and hold and enjoy!

Our adoption agent in the U.S. said things are tightening up all across Russia with a strict policy of only referring children with severe health issues to foreigners. She also said the program Russian started a year ago that offered financial incentives for Russians to take in the orphans is actually more of a foster program with the option to adopt. This is great it would seem; however, the problem is that it takes these children off of the adoption lists and then the foster families can just send them back to the orphanage any time they want. She said more children might become available as these children are returned. I can't believe there is such utter disregard for finding permanent homes for these children.

In Moscow at the airport we met 3 others that were there for adoption. One couple was with an agency called American World Adoption. They were on their 2nd trip and after 3 weeks here, they were finally on their way home with their adorable little 22 month old boy. He was very healthy and so, so cute. He had an innocent heart murmur on his medical that allowed him to be adopted. They had to wait 5 months in between trips! The other couple were on their first trip like us. They were with European Adoption Consultants and were adopting from a region just a 4 hour drive from Moscow. They met their referral, a little boy, who is very healthy and everything went perfectly. The third was a single lady who was traveling with her Aunt. She had a similar experience as us. The first referral was deaf and the second was severly hyperactive. She was still deciding what she was going to do. She was with Adoption Options, doing an independent adoption. I think maybe the larger adoption agencies have more clout and can still get healthy referrals, or maybe it just depends on what region of Russia you are working in and what their current policy is. Maybe some of both.

I am grateful that the two young couples met with success. They didn't have any children. As much as I hate to think it, if this terrible experience had to happen to someone, so that others would know what is going on, I am glad that it was us because at least we have beautiful children we can go home to and hold.

Thank you to all of you who followed us on this journey. Your comments have been very much appreciated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so happy you are home and we too are realizing from your notes how blessed we are, living in America. We're grateful for your desire to bless others. Daddy is very frustrated for you. We will watch and see what the Lord's plan for you is.
Mom John

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness. I have just gotten caught up on all this and I am so, so sorry for your experience. We'll be praying that you know how to proceed from here. I am not sure what we will do - still no referral.

Russian Adoption Chronicles said...

Hi there. I am so glad you made it home safely.

My heart aches for you and I am not sure I can agree with the story your agency is telling you.

I adopted from Kemerovo region a couple of months ago and still read information about what is going on in Kemerovo. There are a lot of adoptions taking place there, yes healthy children. Several agencies working, big and small.

Kim Abraham said...

I am amazed by the grace (and the genuine caring attitude for others) with which you have handled this difficult situation. My heart aches for you and your family over the pain that you endured in Russia.

But I can tell from your posts (without even knowing you personally) that you WILL come through all of this with a happy ending and be an inspiration for us all throughout the process!

May God bless you and lead you directly to the daughter He has prepared for you. In the meantime, keep loving on those precious children of yours. They sure keep us humble!

Sandra said...

I am so sorry for what happened in Russia. I hope you're led to your child soon. The pain and disappointment for your family must be so hard to endure now.

David and Jana said...

I am so sorry for your experience. I cried for you today. I know the Lord is in charge and that sometimes it isn't until much later that we see His wisdom. Our prayers are with you! It was so nice to see you on Sunday. I'm so glad I got to wrap my arms around you. Somehow, everything will be ok.